At the end of each month I like to take time to reflect on some of the special moments that happened during the past month and the things that I am excited about for the coming month. Here’s what I got for October and November!
A Look Back @ October 2013 (a.k.a. my favorite things about this month!)
1. Fall is my absolute favorite season and one of my favorite fall activities is apple/pumpkin picking! This is not easy to do in California, but every year Henri and I make the 1.5 hour drive up to Oak Glen, CA for apples, cider, and pumpkins! This year we tried out a new orchard and they had the most delicious apple cider and old fashioned cider donuts – YUM! It was a great day and definitely one of my favorite days this month!
2. October seems to be when pumpkin EVERYTHING shows up in the stores, and I think this past month I may have eaten myself into a pumpkin coma! On a single trip to Trader Joe’s I think half my cart was pumpkin related items – ice cream, granola, soup… even pumpkin dog biscuits for Finn and Laci! Panera brought back their pumpkin pie bagel this month – absolute HEAVEN with their honey walnut cream cheese!
I’ve also enjoyed getting creative in the kitchen with my pumpkin! I make this pumpkin oatmeal multiple times a week!
I even attempted pumpkin cinnamon rolls with maple-pumpkin pie spice-cream cheese frosting!
Pumpkin will probably continue to dominate my diet for the next few months, but it always starts in October!
3. Henri convinced me to see the eye-doctor with him this month and I walked out with these babies!
Turns out I needed reading glasses, and though needing glasses makes me feel out I love the frames I picked out and it is nice to be able to read as long as I’d like without getting tired eyes! Definitely a highlight of the month!
4. This month – on the 28th to be exact – Henri and I celebrated the 5th anniversary of our first date! I can’t believe that I’ve spent the last FIVE YEARS with my best friend! We didn’t do much to celebrate the day – seeing as we have a new anniversary now (our wedding anniversary) but it was fun to have a relaxing dinner together and home and reminisce about that first date… and the silly things we did during our first few months of dating! I can’t even imagine all the amazing things we will get to experience together over the next 5 years!
5. Last, but not least – October is never complete without some playoff baseball and this year the Red Sox killed it! We don’t have cable so when we didn’t feel like streaming the games online at home we enjoyed a few outings to watch the games on a real tv! We watched them play the Detroit Tigers during my first trip to Buffalo Wild Wings and enjoyed this wonderful plate of deliciousness!
We also watched a World Series game at The Counter, and since we were running low on our Date Night budget we just got fries and milkshakes… I’m not complaining!
We spent more than half of evening this month watching Red Sox baseball (16 actually), so yeah… probably one of the most notable things about October! Oh, and by the way: they won the WORLD SERIES, wicked awesome!
A Glance Forward @ November 2013
The single thing that I am most excited about November is Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving may be my favorite holiday, I can’t explain it but I just love Thanksgiving! This will be my first year celebrating it in California with my husband’s family and I am excited celebrate the day with them! His family is from Mexico so it will definitely be different from my family’s traditional New England Thanksgiving (can anyone say Turkey with Mole Sauce?? I’ve already been warned!) but different can be fun! My family always run a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving so of course I had to sign up one this year! Henri and I will be running the Dana Point Turkey Trot with my aunt, uncle, and cousins from Laguna Nigel. I am looking forward to spending some time with them on Thanksgiving! I also may have done something crazy and signed up for both the 10k and 5k… what was I thinking?? Yup, that’s why I’m looking forward to November this year… running and food, pretty typical!
What were some of the highlights of your October?
Any fun plans for November?
Will you be running a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving? Which one??