Even though it has still been hot here in the afternoons, it has been pretty chilly early in the day for my morning runs. I’m thankful for this for two reasons. 1. For a few hours every day I get to pretend like I live somewhere with fall weather, even if the dashboard on my car constantly reminds me that its over 80 degrees. 2. Nothing tastes better after a chilly run than a bowl of warm, pumpkin oatmeal!
This is how I like to make my pumpkin oatmeal! (Please ignore my awful food photography, I’m working on it :))
- 1/2 cup “Old Fashioned” oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I like the Trader Joe’s version)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Toppings: brown sugar, cinnamon sugar, walnuts, coconut, extra milk, etc.
- Stir together oats, water, milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the oats have reached your desired consistency remove the sauce pan from the stove and pour oatmeal into a serving bowl.
- Top with desired toppings. I like mine best with a little brown sugar, sweetened coconut, and a splash of extra milk!
Note: To increase the servings simply increase all the ingredients for the number of people you wish to serve. Keep in mind that the cooking time may be longer with a larger batch.
For a printable version of this delicious recipe, please click below.
**The recipe contained in the post was developed and created by Lauren @Will Run for Boston.