Since I am pretty new to this whole blogging thing, I have created a Thursday series that will help any of you out there reading to get to know me a little bit better!
I am calling it “Things About Me Thursday”. In this series I plan on sharing 10 random things about myself that are all related by a specific category! Since I find myself talking about food a lot I figured that would be the PERFECT category to start with.
So here we go… 10 random facts about me and food!
1. I do not like candy bars. And no, I’m not crazy. I just have never been a fan of caramel or nougat and it seems like almost every candy bar in the WORLD has one or both of those things in it. Also – I am a chocolate purist and would rather eat a plan bar of dark chocolate than chocolate with something else in it.
Also, since I’m such a math nerd – I used to organize my Halloween candy into a bar graph…
2. I could eat breakfast every meal of the day! I love love love breakfast foods. Pancakes, waffles, french toast, cereal, oatmeal, bacon, eggs, omelets. YUM! Some days it’ll get to be 3 o’clock in the afternoon and I think back on what I had to eat so far that day, and it’s all “breakfast foods”. (My sisters are the same way!)
3. Until I was in college I always ate my cereal without milk. Cheerios, Life, Kix, Honey Bunches of Oats – I would eat them plain, usually out of a cup, with my hands. It wasn’t until my freshman year of college that I finally (and reluctantly) ate a bowl of cereal with milk. It took a lot of convincing on my husband’s (then boyfriend) part to even get me to try it. Now I have no idea why I waited so long!
4. Ice cream is my all-time FAVORITE dessert! My mom and her family are from Wisconsin so it is almost genetic that I ended up with a love for all things dairy – especially ice cream! There are hardly ever fewer than 10 tubs of ice cream in my parents’ fridge, and I feel compelled to keep at least 2 or 3 different flavors in the apartment, even though its just me and Henri! I could eat ice cream every day (and I generally do). Here are just a FEW of the ice cream photos I found on my phone – its a little embarrassing how many there were to choose from!
5. My favorite Italian dish is gnocchi. Small, soft dumplings made of potatoes? They are heavenly and so tasty nearly everywhere you can find them! Whenever I am out for dinner and see them on the menu that is immediately what I order (unless there is some nasty kind of sauce on it – something with mushrooms or blue cheese – ick!)
6. My favorite part about travel is trying the local cuisine. There is nothing like eating crepes in Paris, pasta in Rome, sausages in Munich, or chocolate in Switzerland! My favorite part of traveling is eating the food of the city or country that I am visiting! It’s also a really fun time to try new foods! In our most recent trip to Europe Henri and I ate lots of local cuisine! Just a few were…
Fish & Chips in London!
7. I love to bake and cook. I love trying new recipes and learning different techniques. The thing that I have been working on for a while is yeasted breads! I want to be able to make fluffy croissants, butter dinner rolls, and loaves of sandwich bread like nobody’s business! This is a LOT harder than I first imagined it would be – my first attempt at croissants was pretty sad. But I am sticking with it and learning more every time I bake something new. My proudest moment with this was when I made this cheese-lemon-curd danish! It was amazing!Too bad one of the pups ate it after I only got ONE slice! 😦
8. My favorite type of international food is Thai food. I love curry and my favorite version is Thai yellow curry! I also LOVE Pad Thai, spring rolls, and basically everything else Thai! I am a fan of spicy and Thai food always have the right amount of spice, but is also soooo flavorful! On date night when we don’t feel like cooking, but also feel like hanging out at home we always order in Thai and eat it on the couch watching Nexflix or a RedBox movie!
Pepper, onion and sausage pizza!
So there you have it! 10 facts about me and food! I wish I could say that I dumped every single photo of food on my phone and camera into this post, but there are MANY more where these came from (embarrassing)!
I’m off to find a snack now because looking at food makes me hungry! 🙂
What are some of your favorite foods?
What is your favorite kind of international cuisine?
What was the last new food you tried?