My Friday was pretty uneventful: run, work, errands, working on our budget, chores, lots of laundry. I did mail out my first ever Foodie Penpal Package so that was exciting! I am already looking forward to getting mine from my penpal – I can’t wait!
In honor of Pepperdine running at Cross Country Regionals yesterday morning I wore my Regionals shirt from junior year! Roll Waves!
Friday is now officially “Pizza Night” in our house. This is a new thing – so I am looking forward to trying out different kinds of pizza. I already have a list a mile long of all the recipes I want to try. If you read my post on Thursday, you know that I love pesto pizza… I had never made it myself so last night I decided to try for the first time!
We enjoyed our pizza relaxing on the couch with some Grey’s Anatomy. This week’s episode was really good, much better than they have been recently!
The pizza was so tasty that I just have to share my recipe. The key is to use my grandmother’s homemade pesto! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Pesto Chicken Pizza
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s pizza dough
- Homemade Pesto (recipe below)
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if using a pizza stone place it in the oven before turning the oven on)
- While oven is preheating, cook the chicken breast in a skillet with a splash of olive oil.
- Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Roll pizza dough into a large, flat circle.
- Spread the desired amount of homemade pesto onto the dough.
- Chop up the baby spinach and place in an even layer around the pizza.
- Add the cheese on top of the layer of spinach and then sprinkle the sliced chicken over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how crispy you would like the crust to be!
- 2 cups basil leaves (washed, dried, and chopped)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Process pine nuts and garlic in a food processor until it looks like coarse sand.
- Add basil and blend.
- Slowly add olive oil to the mixture through the spout while the food processor is on.
- Add the cheese and blend until there is a uniform, dark green mixture.
- Serve over pasta, in soups, as a sauce for pizza, etc.
HAVE A GREAT SATURDAY!